Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Accent Wall

Staring at the wall, Joy asks, "when did the realtor say this house was built?"

"1992," I reply.

"I would have thought the 70's by the look of that wallpaper. It's a good thing we're painting it then, huh?" A smile played around the corners of her lips.

"What fun," I mutter.

"This is going to be the accent wall. So I want to use this paint," she hands me a can labeled, Bordeau Brown, and walks away.

"You need to hurry. It won't be long before your precious tv gets here."

I go to set the can down and something on the wall catches my eye. I walk over and see part of the wallpaper peeling back. It looks like something's written behind it. I pull it back and uncover the words, Seek And You Will Find.

"What are you doing?"

I jump like I was shot! "Woman," I say but quickly laugh it off. "You scared me."

"I see that. But that doesn't explain why you're tearing up the wall instead of painting it," a smirk across her face.

"I'm not tearing it up. The paper was peeling and I saw something. Look."
She walks over and reads it.

"What does it mean?"

"I don't know," I say.

We both look at it as if the answer will jump out at us.

"Whatever," I say, giving up. Joy looks at me and pushes a roll of tape into my chest. "Here you go, handsome. I'll start on the other side."

I bend down and start taping off the baseboards. But halfway through I notice another part of the wall peeling. Reaching over, I rip it back to see something else written.

"Honey, look at this," She leans over me and reads it out loud, "Knock And The Door Will Be Opened."

"Okay, I know I've heard that before. I just can't think of where."

"It does sound familiar," she agrees.

Again, we both stare at it, trying to figure it out. On a hunch, I reach over and knock on the words. A hollow metal sound erupts.

"Honey, grab my knife out of the toolbox." I start to strip away the hideous wallpaper.

"What do you think it is?" she asks, returning with the knife.

"We're about to find out," I say grabbing the blade. "But I'm guessing its a door."

I knock to find its edge. Then I take the knife etch along the edge of the metal.

A few minutes later and the door's revealed. Puzzled I ask, "Where do you think it leads?"

Joy steps back, concern etching her face as she points to the door. "I'm hoping nowhere without a handle."

Sure enough, not even a space for one. I rub my hands across the metal but I don't feel anything. Looking at the words again, oddly placed where the door handle should be, I knock.

There's a small creaking sound as it opens slightly. I step back, examining it.

"Well, what do you think?" I ask.

"I don't know, honey," her eyes dart from me to the door.

"Oh, come on, don't chicken out on me now. We have to check it out." I grab the side of the door and pull. It resists a little, but opens up to a dark hallway.

I run over and grab a flashlight. I shine it into the hall. It goes back a little but then stops at another wall.

A dead end. I take a few steps, Joy right behind me. The air is musty, and cobwebs are everywhere. But right before the wall I notice a staircase.

So we make our way down and at the bottom is another metal door with the words, Ask And You Will Receive, written on it.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Joy whispers. "lets just go back upstairs."

"We have to find out. Who knows, maybe it's a storm shelter or something."

"It's the, 'or something', that worries me," she says.

"At least this one has a handle," I say, reaching for it.

I open the door to a large room. On one end there's a bookshelf that stretches across the entire wall. At the center is a table and a few chairs.

I notice a light switch and flick it on. Light pours into the room. Joy walks over to the book shelf and pulls one of the books.

"It's a Bible," she says as she looks at more. "They're all Bibles!"



                                         WikiMedia

Repent before it's too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment