Friday, March 22, 2013

The Dingy

Two pages in, I'm finally able to sit back, relax, and read. Reading has always been my first love. Adventure on every page, it's easy to get lost in a book for hours at a time. I do enjoy reading my favorite sea adventures as I bask in the sun, listening to the rolling waves crash on the shore. I like being close to the shoreline, but not too close, and have the tide tell me when it's time to head back inside.

I know most of the other kids my age wouldn't be caught dead reading a book if they didn't have to. But I'm not like most kids and besides, I hate surfing and that seems to be the only thing anyone at school wants to do. No, I'd rather read about my old friend One Eyed! They say he has two good eyes but no one was afraid of a pirate named Two Eyed. So he put on a patch and the rest is history.

A loud smack and a "humf", pulls me from my book and I look up to see a man picking himself up out of the sand. Behind him is a small boat. He's dressed in tall black boots, dirty grey pants, and a tattered white shirt. Sand falling from his mangy beard, he readjusts a black patch over his right eye. I gasp! looking at the cover of my book and then the smelly guy in front of me, I manage to breath out, "It's you, you're, One Eyed!"

"Aye son," he begins shaking the sand from his clothes. "That be my name boy. What's it to ya?"

I drop the book and stare. "How is this possible... I mean, it's not possible. Is it?"
"Listen up me lad, ya can keep yer yappin' or ya can give me a hand with me dingy."

I jump to my feet. No way am I going to pass this up. I grab one side of the old boat and One Eyed grabs the other. We pull it further up the beach and the old pirate sits down.

"I can't handle this alone. If yer itchin' for an adventure, I've a proposition for ya."
“What is it," I ask.

“I have a treasure map that's doin' me no good as I can't read it me self. I need a pair of eyes who can read it for me. 50/50 split mind ya. What do ya say, ye in?"
My eyes glisten at the thought of finding buried treasure. I can't believe my luck. One Eyed, here, asking me to help him find buried treasure!

“Yes,” I shout, not caring to hide my enthusiasm. I jump up, eager with anticipation. He smiles and slowly rises to his feet. Reaching out his hand, I take it. We start walking along the beach and I giggle with delight. I look up and squeeze his hand, “thanks dad."

"No problem son, I mean, Arr, nothin' to it!"



No comments:

Post a Comment